Wednesday, June 3, 2009

4 years ago . . .

I was finishing up a one of the craziest months of my life. Wow, it really is a distant memory!
May 15th, 2005: My water broke, I was only 27 weeks.
That was seriously one of the scariest days and nights of my life, and I know a lot of people who will attest to that! (Cory, my family - especially my mom, Coleman and Kellie - who were with me when my water broke) It was super intense the first few days, then things settled down. My hospital stay would follow a pretty predictable pattern; stable; contractions; IV and medicines I can't remember the names of; stable, etc. What a ride! Finally, my white blood cell count spiked, which suggested an infection. 4 weeks after my admission, out came Emory!
Like I said, those first few days were pretty terrible - I think you can tell by the look on my face!
My mom came to my rescue!Not very often that you can catch me not smiling for the camera, but I was in a bad mood. Finally, I got over it, and realized I had a task at hand - keeping my baby healthy and inside of me for as long as possible. I think I did I pretty good job!
My nurses were so fantastic. They were so good to keep me busy and took time to sit and visit with me. Many nurses would even call on their days off to check on me.
Mitra - She was from Iran and was so sweet. She got to be the surgical tech at my c-section, I was so happy!
Sweet Micie - When I think of Georgia hospitality, this little lady comes to mind. She talked just like Paula Deen! She took a trip a couple days before Emory was born, and came back so mad at me for not waiting till she got back.
Meagan - I loved this girl! She was just home from school for the summer and got a job helping out around Labor and Delivery. She always called every weekend to check on me and she even sang for us once.
Dr. Assevero - Not my favorite person, but, I guess you can't be too picky when you're an out-of-state emergency admit and you're insurance is being weird and . . . crazily enough, he ran all of the Hispanic Clinics in the area, I had a hard time picturing him speaking Spanish!
Clinica de la Mama! NO WORDS can express the laughter my mom and I had when we pulled up to this building. Now we knew why all the nurses asked why he was my doctor!Last but not least, my wonderful and adoring husband cutting my food for me! That hospital food was . . . well, lacking. So, my mom and Cory tried to bring me good stuff from the outside, every once in a while. This was my cousin's birthday celebration, and I was having a hard time cutting my steak. Like the napkin under my chin?
I am so grateful for modern medicine and the wonderful things that can come about because of it! (I'd like to think my strong will helped out a little!)
PS One funny little story; every other day I would have my blood drawn to check . . . stuff, anyways, it was usually the same guy. After a couple of times, he stopped talking and started looking at me funny. A week later, he finally asked me when I was going home. I said, "After I have my baby." His eyes got really wide and he said, "YOU'RE PREGNANT!" My belly was probably the size of most peoples after they've had their baby. It definitely made me feel better and gave me a good laugh!

4 comments:

  1. oh, wait, I guess I can tell her happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing there's a happy ending to this story! Great job, mama!! Tell little Emory "Happy Birthday" for me and that Afton can't wait to see her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so crazy! I am glad that everythin turned out well. You two are troopers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. odd place to say hey, but uh, hey!! im a blogger. add me to your blog home girl!!

    haha and happy birthday to emory! the little story at the end is super cute

    ReplyDelete