Monday, July 13, 2009

Trek

I've always wanted to go on a Pioneer Trek, and when the chance presented itself - I jumped at it. Words cannot express how AMAZING it was! The experiences changed all of those involved for life.
It was so hard, don't get me wrong, but it was sooo worth it. We laughed, we cried, we pushed, we pulled, we sobbed, we joked, we giggled, we perspired, we froze, we perspired some more, we pondered, and we prayed. I feel like all those that were on the trek are now close personal friends and that we shared something very special together.
I was asked to speak in church in two weeks about the trek, so I figure I'll just post my talk then and not re-write the whole experience twice. Here are some of the fantastic pictures:
Steve and his wives.
This one just said "Polygamist" to me.Climbing Independence Rock, it was steep!
Jen was the first girl up!

Ready for the Trek!
Las mujeres.We're saving this one for Adam and Madison's Wedding Video.

I don't think that they had tye-dyed long johns back then.I carried baby Flora most of the way.
I neglected her once or twice, but only for an hour or twelve. That little sack across my shoulder, and hanging by my hip, is 4 oz. of flour. That was the ration each adult over the age of 12 received each day. Only 2 oz. for under 12. That's all."Oscar" the dog.
There's an article in this July's Friend about him. (p. 22)The Sweetwater River. When the pioneers in the Martin Handcart Company crossed this, there was snow on the ground and chunks of ice floating past them. I dare say our crossing was a relief from the heat!Adam babysitting Flora.The best neighbors a girl could ask for!! I could just imagine this scene back then, weary wife resting her head on her husbands shoulder.Our guys by the memorial of the men who carried the pioneers across the Sweetwater.Men washing their hair?!?!?
Girls gettin' a ride!American Gothic RevisitedMormon Battlion callout. This was such a hard moment. To watch our men walk away.
We did it!!!

2 comments:

  1. That does look kind of fun. I've never really wanted to go on a trek but seeing your pictures has changed my mind. It's nice that you could leave your kids with your mom too. I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gone on a trek. I always wished I could. I bet someday i will as a leader too!

    ReplyDelete