Wednesday, February 24, 2010

OCD

I've been planning and praying about quilts for my girls for going on a year. I've never spent money decorating or coordinating their bedding, well, because I didn't see the point (or the money that needed to be involved). It hurts my heart to admit this, but when we moved Emory to a big girl bed 3 years ago, we bought the dreaded dorm room "bed-in-a-bag" from BB&B. Yuck. I've finally saved enough to do it right, and wanted to document the craziness that's in my head.
1 YEAR AGO: First, I knew I wanted to use HB Pop Garden line. Then I heard she and AB were coming out with new lines, so I had to wait and see what they looked like. (Months of looking, and looking, and debating and looking.) Finally I came back to my first love, and - voila- the fabric was chosen. Now to the pattern. I'd seen some I liked, but kept coming back to this. I couldn't find the pattern anywhere! So, on a whim, I emailed Joel (because we're on a first name basis now ;) and he sent me the pattern. What an angel! Now on to the planning. The Madison Park Quilt has 18 fabrics involved, and I had only chosen 7. Mix and mingle, and make a mini-paper quilt, and 18 1/2 hours later . . .Yes, that is right, I made paper fabric (to scale) and painstakingly cut out each piece, moved them around a little, glued them together and died. It was a happy death though, full of knowing that I'd love the finished product, when I'm done in 14 years.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, Joel is so NICE!!! He actually emails me back when I write him, which is especially cool because in my mind he's a celebrity. And that he sent you the pattern - what a GEM! :) Your mini quilt looks so great. What a good idea! I'll bet you're itching to get started on the real deals now...

    ReplyDelete