Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We LOVE Firemen!

Holy cow! What a morning! At about 8:30 a.m., I was taking out the garbage when my neighbor came running up to me. She was close to hysterical, saying that she'd locked her son in the running car! Yikes! She needed to use my phone because her house keys and cell phone were in the car too. I ran and got dressed so I could stay outside with the baby (he's about 18 months) and make sure he was okay, while she called AAA. They said they'd be 60 minutes (SERIOUSLY!!!) but that it probably wouldn't take that long since she'd be first priority with a running, lock out, baby in the car. She went out to wait for them. About ten minutes later, I went out to check on them and she was still waiting! The baby had fallen asleep and was profusely sweating (which scared the crap out of me, I would have broken a window by that time!) She got panicky again, so I ran in and called 9*1*1. They transferred me to the fire department and our AWESOME Surprise Fire Department showed up 2 1/2 minutes later!!! "Hooray," is what Emory shouted as they came around the corner. It took them a couple minutes to break in, but they did it and the baby (and car) are okay. Emory told the men, "Thanks for saving his life!" They were super nice, and gave all the kids firemen hats.

4 comments:

  1. good thinking Rach...to heck with AAA! That is what our tax money is for..to save little babies locked in hot Phoenix cars. Wow that must have been a little crazy there! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, scary!!! Good thinking though, and cute for the kids to get hats and see the firemen in action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a lesson for us all - always turn on the AC as soon as you get in the car.

    I locked my keys in the car while it was running once - no baby - just the car. I waited for Jared to come from work to unlock it and in the meantime it ran out of gas...that was a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That always makes me nervous when I've got Ellie in the car and I shut the door. I'm afraid I'm going to come back and it's going to be locked. I'm glad everything turned out okay-how scary especially in that kind of heat.

    ReplyDelete